Monday, March 3, 2014

My, How Things Change

Today could have been a terrible, no good day.  Not so long ago, it would have been; however, I have finally learned that I am the one in charge of how I feel.  People can say and do whatever, but it is my choice as to how I feel.  

You see, today is my former best friend's birthday   Last year I sneaked into her house and decorated it so that she would come home to streamers and balloons and know that even though we couldn't see each other that day, that I loved her.  

Today I couldn't even text her a greeting. 

Times change.  People change.  

But rather than get all bent out of shape because of something that is beyond my control, I decided to focus today on the fact that I am blessed in oh-so-many ways.  I didn't get upset or cry or even get angry; I simply noted the day on my calendar, said a prayer for blessings on her special day, and then moved on.  

Someday, perhaps, things will change; I hope they will.  But for now I'm finally, finally learning to be content with my life just the way it is. It's taken a lot of prayer, a lot of patience, a lot of support from my hubby, and a really great counselor that has helped me see that I don't need to give others control over my feelings.  

Today, and every day, I choose to find my invincible summer.  


No comments:

Post a Comment